Old 01-23-07, 03:40 PM
!!Comatoa$ted
Senor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It's pretty easy to see the consequences of rest just prior to an event. All you need to do is study how rapidly plasma volume is lost in a highly trained athlete during rest. There are several studies that demonstrate this. In one study, runners lost a kilogram of plasma after just 48 hours of rest. Plasma volume relates directly to aerobic capacity, and their performance numbers dropped accordingly. Plasma volume goes away quickly, and it comes back quickly (thankfully). It's controlled by Anti-Diuretic Hormome (ADH), which is produced during exercise.

Also note that in the Tour de France, none of the cyclists actually rests on "rest days". A rider is sure to go out and ride to maintain his plasma volume. He may not know why he does it, but he probably knows that he'll suffer on the next race day if he doesn't do it.

Those studies that you speak of sound interesting, are you able to cite them off hand? I would like to read some of them.

I ask because of my interest, and not because I dispute what you are saying. If you can't cite them are you able to point me in the right direction?

Thank you