View Single Post
Old 01-26-07, 09:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by The CLYDE
Two last things:
1. cyccommute, didn't mean to debate you bud, and I agree with ...er...recognize that most of what you said was well on the mark. Having worked for a few and been in the community/industry a long time - I am of the opinion and practice that the consumer should do what fits their needs/demands and budget first local small business loyalty second.
I respect you position but I have my own issues with the 'lowest possible price model'. My father-in-law owned a very successful small business back in the '80s (an office supply store) that was run out of business after he sold it by the big box office stores. The community is poorer for it. I've seen the same thing happening in other areas when a large company runs the competitors out of business and then towns become empty shells with big boxes around them. I'm luck in that I live in an inner urban area with a thriving business district with lots of small shops carrying all kinds of stuff from baked goods to meats to, quite possibly, the worlds greatest hardware store. I can walk to all of them and enjoy doing business with them. I pay a little more but the alternative is to drive 10 miles round trip to go to the big boxes and have to deal with surly people who are just doing a job...instead of enjoying the community.

I feel that there is a hidden price we pay for going with the cheapest price. We become consumers but we lose the community...so I'll take local loyalty first, price second.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!