Old 01-27-07, 09:26 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
Have a chance at pro price set of Crane Creek Aros 58's tubular. Cant seem to get any straight answers. Word is they are the same rim as the Zipp 404. If this is true wont I need carbon specific brake pads? will they work on my aluminum rims? Or do I have to change brake pads every time I change wheels? Are they tubular or open tubular? Do you have to glue them? Isnt that a big pain in the ass if you use them for trining rides and you get a flat? Might be worth they pain in the ass factor to get a $1500 wheelset for $750. I would use them in some training rides in most crit races and in on my TT bike in TT stages and races. I have an old Shimano I use on my stationary trainer.Would use my Mavic for most training rides and my Cane Creek Volos for mountains. Switching wheels is no problem but is it a pain to change brake pads all the time for different rims?

They are the same rim as the older non-dimpled 404s, and the current Ritchey WCS Carbons. Yes, you should change your pads when you switch from aluminum to carbon rims. Yes, of course you have to glue them, as they are TUBULAR. Why you would be using them for a training ride is beyond me, but yes, this has the potential to be a pain in the ass. Carry Vittoria PitStop and you should be alright, though. I would use them in the mountains, in crits, in RRs, in TTs over your other wheels as they are both signifcantly lighter and more aero.

What is an open tubular rim...? Clincher, tubular, and tubeless are the only three I'm aware of.