View Single Post
Old 01-29-07, 01:15 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
Mexican spanish has probably diverged more from formal spanish (the kind they usually teach in classes) and proper written spanish than Spain spanish has.
+1
According to my son who is fluent in Spanish most of the Spanish we hear spoken in this country is what he calls redneck Spanish it is the language of the uneducated worker, similar to how English would have been spoken at a manufacturing plant 50-60 years ago. Not the grammatically correct language of a formally educated person. We have a fairly large Hispanic work force and what is fun is trying to keep the translations straight. Many of the day to day words are idiomatic and unique to the particular region the person comes from. We currently have Honduran, Mexican, Ecuadoran and Costa Ricans on our crews, they can converse but there are many words that are different. Similar I suppose to someone from Australia, Great Britain and the USA all speak English and have a fairly decent understanding of what the other is saying.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon