Old 01-29-07, 05:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by M400Dale
I recently bought a used 1999 cannondale m400.
The only thing I see wrong with it at this time is the front wheel. There is a flat cover and isn't tight onto the hub that covers the ball bearings and I believe it's getting dirty inside there.
I tried plugging the cap back inside but it won't stay. Does anyone know how to fix this problem on my own?
Do I need a new wheel or do I need a new hub?

Sorry I'm new to mountain biking and want to learn what I can so I don't have to take it to a bike shop. Thanks.
Is it a steel or rubber seal? If it's steel, try gently bending the edge of the cover outward so that it's a tighter fit. It won't need much. Then use a rubber mallet to put it back in place. Don't go caveman on it. You should just tap it into place.

It it's a rubber seal, it's probably decayed and you'll need a new one. Try a local shop.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!