Old 01-29-07, 05:16 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by lyeinyoureye
A few minutes into my run to the hardware store today, my rear tire blew out. I figured it wasn't a big deal since I could toss/patch another tube, but as it turns out, the tube blew out where the tire tore off the bead. Does anyone know how this could happen? The tire had been on/off the rim a couple times because I had improperly put the tube in and had to patch a couple small tears, but nothing that would've gone through the sidewall. The tires on the bike were 700-23c and I was running 700-20c.
Were the tears around the sidewall failure? If so, there's your culprit. The tire is a pressure vessel. Any weakness in a pressure vessel is asking for failure. Try not to do anything that would cut the tire around the bead and, if you do, lesson learned.

If the tears are elsewhere, then it may be defective.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!