View Single Post
Old 01-31-07, 07:23 AM
Chud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrosseyedCrickt
What are peoples opinions on 'buzzing' cyclists?

I drive in the city a lot, and every now and then I'll come across a cyclist who is crossing the road diagonally, in my path, and with their back to me as I'm driving along my merry way. They will, of course, be totally oblivious to my presence (or that of any other traffic) as well. In this situation I will sometimes accelerate and swerve around their backs, then cut back in to my original line as tight as I can manage. I have brushed against cyclists bags and flapping jackets when doing this,so that's how close I'm talking. And I'm also talking fast.

I'm guessing that this scares the crap out of most cyclists who are stupid enough to put themselves in this position, and perhaps it might make them a little more cautious the next time they decide to cross the road (or, heaven forbid, ride in the driving lane). Perhaps it's not the most socially or morally conscientious manoeuvre, but it is a guilty little pleasure of mine sometimes when the opportunity presents itself.

I'd love to hear any other forms of motorists retribution too.

A good and fair call, Crosseyed, but if a cyclist is that oblivious to traffic then he will quickly learn to be more aware his surroundings. In that situation it might not only be a car unintentionally 'buzzing' him to teach the lesson.

Will the pedestrian even think twice about the encounter if I give him a comfortable, wide berth? Will it have any impact at all if I casually cruise around this idiot who could potentially be endangering my life by ignoring the existence of any traffic behind his back? Perhaps I could say "Watch the road, Sir!" as I glide by. Or perhaps the realisation that I could have been a heavy vehicle mashing him into the tarmac will make him more cautious next time. Perhaps he'll come out of the encounter with a greater hatred towards cyclists. I don't know.