Old 01-31-07, 12:03 PM
Cyclologist

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 with Ultegra/105, Ksyrium Elites, Powertap Pro, Toupe saddle, and Thomson X2 stem (gotta have something Thomson); Felt F65, Trek SU200, Trek 7300 FX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, how frequently do 10 speed chains fail at the point of reconnection?

After reading sheldon's method for determining proper chainlength, I realized I may have unnecessarily added links to my chain, just to keep it the same length as the chain that came stock on the bike. When in the small/small combo, the chain isn't sagging, but if there is reason to suspect the chain will fail at the point where the replacement pin was inserted, I may as well remove those three extra links at the replacement pin and reconnect the chain with the Wipperman Connex master link I was using anyway. I'd still be two extra links, instead of just the one Sheldon recommends. Right now, there are about five extra.

My deciding factor for removing those extra links is whether I'm really riding around on a weaker chain with those extra links, since they were reconnected with a replacement pin. Unfortunately, at the time of installation, I was not savy enough to perform the maneuver at the master pin, eliminating that potential weak point, too.

I should mention, I've examined the replacement pin several times now, and it seems like I installed it correctly. It sticks out ever so slightly on the one side where the guide was broken off, but that is where the pin wants to sit comfortably. What would be a tell tale sign of improper installation?

Last edited by Cyclologist; 02-03-07 at 10:30 PM.