Old 01-31-07, 04:46 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The rides I love to do are comprised of regular racing guys, Cat 5 through 2. They're fast. I suck at racing. But on a good day I can have a decent showing on the local club rides vs. the local racers. So that's like a no entry fee race for this weenie. If I race, even if I never get a result, it really does make me considerably faster/stronger and the weekend rides/friendly competition becomes much more fun.

There is however one over-riding altruism in racing: every dog has his day. If you keep showing up, keep trying, ride near the front and pay attention, something good will happen, you'll feel good, you'll make the break, etc. It even happens to me. I've gotten 2nd, 4th, 5th over the years through a combination of good timing/smart moves/luck. And trust me, I friggin SUCK at this.

But ultimately I do enjoy it or I wouldn't do it. And if you don't, I wouldn't bother. It's about having FUN, despite the overwhelming take-it-way-too-seriously nonsense half the road racers seem to exhibit. The only difference between the beer softball league and USCF bike racing are the beer bellies. And of course the softball dudes get more babes. They don't shave their legs.