View Single Post
Old 02-01-07, 02:18 PM
Bobby Lex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My second crit ever I don't know how I managed to, but I hung by a thread with the pack for the entire race. With one-half lap and just 2 corners to go, I saw an opening on the inside and scooted up from 35th place to 3rd place in just about 10 seconds. As the pack swung wide left to set up for a 90 degree right turn, I scooted up along the right side in perfect position to cut the corner inside of the pack and head into the final turn in first or second place.

That's when I run up behind a guy who'd been dropped and lapped and was just loping along at about 10 mph below the speed of the pack. With nowhere to bail I had to lock up the brakes to avoid hitting him, causing me to lose all my momentum as my speed instantly dropped from 28 mph to 18 mph. Within 5 seconds I went from 3rd place to 40th place.

I still managed to get back up to speed and pick off a few riders before the finish line for a 26th place finish.

But I still wonder where I would have ended up if that guy had been pulled after he was lapped instead of being allowed to mosey along and essentially become a moving road hazard.

If dropped or lapped riders can affect the outcome of a race, they should be pulled.

Bob