Old 02-01-07, 04:45 PM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think either of you can be swayed from your opinions. However, I will reply for the benefit of others because I really believe that pepper spray is a great tool for the cyclist, and I have a lot of experience using it and having it used on me to back that up.

To Michigander: I have on RARE occasions heard of pepper spray canisters failing for whatever reason, but by and large they are very dependable if replaced every few years. As far as stopping power goes, you are comparing apples and oranges (humans to dogs). I have used it on very viscious dogs before and it confuses them and stops them in their tracks. It only lasts a few minutes on dogs, but you by then you could be a mile away. Additionally, batons are illegal in most places plus you have to worry about the possible civil litigation against you for it's use if the dog is injured. Even if you were in the right you still may have to defend yourself in court whereas pepper spray has no lasting effects.

Honestly, dogs are used to getting hit and bitten so in my mind (though I have never used a baton against a dog) the pepper spray is more effective at stopping them just due to the confusion factor and the fact that it causes temporary blindness.

To sdime: You would be suprised how quick you can be and really how much time you have to react when faced with that type of situation. If you keep the canister in a jersey or jacket pocket you can deploy it and never need to get off your bike. In fact, If you are going to deploy it I would recommend NOT getting off the bike. Just keep riding, really fast. I have never deployed mine from my bike (or off-duty for that matter), but I have had it out and in my hand ready to fire on more than a few different dogs before they ran off.

Respectful disagreement here. Use whatever you are comfortable with, and good luck out there.

Last edited by deputyjones; 02-01-07 at 06:45 PM.