Old 02-02-07, 08:28 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Varsity/Continental-considered high end "college" bikes 1968/69

When I was at LSUBR late 60's early 70's the Schwinns-Varsity and the Continental were considered very good bikes. I remember them being expensive-maybe $125-$150 in the late 60's-a lot of $$-like $600 now.There were plenty of them on campus.A buddy of mine Catalog ordered 3 single speed 26" bikes from Sears-they were just under $40 each-my 1st bike.It looked a little like an English Racer with the "skinny" 26" tires, but it was pretty crude and heavy(probably not as heavy as the Schwinns). Soon I moves up to a true 10 speed-a real POS called a Kollkoff ?? made in W Germany.The Germans still made lots of junk then. After about 6 months a chainstay or seatstay(can't remember which) suddenly let go. To its credit,I didn't wreck, and it might have even been "pedalable". Brought it back to the bike store-no warranty-the owner sent it out to a welder.When it returned-she( the owner) said the welder had no faith in his handy work, you could seen some frothy looking "bubbles" on the edge of the weld.Heck, it looked fine to me, I rode it 3 more years until I got my 1st good bike-a Bottechia Pro "Full Campy".Well,almost full-it had POS Universal 63?? brakes.
The $150 Schwinns were expensive back then, and considered very good bikes;you could buy Schwinns high end 22-23 lb bike for $300. I guess that was the Paramount, though I don't remember that name(it might have been chrome plated-can't remember for sure).I used to go in a bike store in BR just to "lift test" that bike. It was the 1st real "racing bike" I ever saw.It made almost as big an impression on me as the 1st English Racer I saw in 1955.
Thanks,
Charlie
Luck,Charlie