Thread: Carbon Wheels
View Single Post
Old 02-02-07, 01:33 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eriksbliss
At 235 pounds (and not going much lower), I may have more money than sense, 'cause I want a set of aerodynamic carbon wheels. Has anyone actually ridden some, incident-free, that they can recommend?

There appear to be options: ZIPP makes "Clydesdale" 404s-909s; HED's FAQ section suggests that it's Jets can be used for cyclocross and are a "10/10" on the durability scale, and they also come in an "EX" big-guy version.

If I can get a few "I weigh as much as you and my XXX wheels have held up with no problems," it will help me make the leap. Or, I'll just buy some that I randomly choose and y'all can enjoy my post in a few months entitled "tacoed my carbon wheel in a time trial."
When I was 220, I raced tri's on an Aerospoke rear wheel without problems. The drawback to those is that they're heavy and costly, and if you're hammering away in a TT you might think them a little too laterally flexy under heavy load.
As for taco-ing a CF wheel... Would that happen, or would it just splinter?