View Single Post
Old 02-02-07, 02:55 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
My assessment is slightly different. I think group leaders tend to ride exactly like they do when they're riding solo. When you see a group leader not coming to a complete stop, it's not to keep everyone in the group of having to stop, it's to keep himself from having to stop, no different from what he would do if he were solo.

I say this because those at the front often forget they are essentially driving a virtual bus. This is perhaps most obvious when there is an obstacle up ahead of some sort (perhaps the need to adjust left to avoid a right only lane, or the start of onstreet parking, etc.), but they don't seem to adjust left any earlier than they would if they were riding solo. But because there is a delay that is propogated one cyclist at a time in the group, they should think ahead and move earlier than when riding solo. But, for the most part, they usually don't.

Now, those behind the leaders? Act like lemmings (again, for the most part).
I don't know really.
Leaders are just who is in front. I've been in that postion at four ways. If I did call out slowing well in advance, gradually slow and then signal stopping, I'd likely be ignored by many, perhaps even lectured by an 'elder' - actually this has happened to me before just for slowing gradually There is always a hot head or two in a group, not matter how fine the rest are, who wants to keep moving fast. This all of course all still fits in with the 'don't want to stop' and lemming theory.
But if everyone did stop or slow to 5mph I still don't see how that works with a group of say 20-30 and x-traffic at a four way.
Overall I know that groups could do better at four way stops. On the flip side many motorists give away their ROW at stops for groups of cyclist, so much it encourages worsening behavior and expecations of cyclists.

Basically in my experience good riding behaviors and good traffic managment practices (call in VC if you will) fall apart in most groups - even groups whose official leader (different of course from who continuous varies as the pack/line leader) is a hard-as* about following laws, even groups with a majority of sensible riders. It allways seems to fall to the lowest level. Left turns are always started way to late, some if not all will squeeze by stopped traffic on the right, ride-lines are way too far to the right and leader merges around obstical too late (even if they signal them early)

*Even with leader who has 'informants' who tell them who broke rules so they get a lecture later and may get kicked out if repeated - including: crossing double yellow on corners, running red lights, riding more than two abreast (except when dropping off lead). However two laws that are never of worry to leader include speeding (well exceeded down some hills) and not stopping at stop signs. Interesting.

Anyway, off on a tangent I go...

Al