View Single Post
Old 02-02-07, 03:32 PM
gregm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Having taken an uncoupled tandem to Europe and dealt with issues like the size of cargo hold openings on smaller planes, taxis, trains, rental cars, I will never do it again. Anybody want to buy a slightly used Bike Pro USA Tandem Race case?
In the context of the 'Piaw' discussions that TG quotes directly above, I think am seeing a real split in approaches to "tandem travel". These seem to be the characteristics of each approach:

1) Go on vacation, and bring your tandem; vs.
2) Get on your tandem, and go on vacation.

Piaw apparently loads up the bike at home, they roll out to the local airport, buy some disposable boxes, and they're off and running. I'll bet they never fussed with renting a car.

If your vacation doesn't really center around your tandem, and you're wanting to have your tandem follow you around as "dead weight" that's available to ride for parts of your vacation that call for cycling, then you'll probably be served really well by being able to put your tandem into a couple of smaller cases.

I was listening the other day to people talking about traveling in Italy and France. "Yes, rent a car! It gives you so much freedom." Hm... buying gas? looking for parking? map in one hand, steering wheel in the other? pick-up/return logistics? flat tire? mechanical troubles? insurance? Hm... I feel freer on a train any day, even at home here in the U.S.!! Plus I take my tandem on the local trains, no sweat.

Well, at least we all agree that vacations should be spent cycling.

-Greg