Old 01-29-01, 08:19 AM
RainmanP
Mr. Cellophane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too dorkie

Hey, Mike, that doesn't sound too dorkie to me. Until I got panniers a couple of weeks ago, I had a large handlebar basket bolted to my rack as you describe. It was very convenient, but there are a couple of places on my commute where I have to lift my bike plus wrestle it up some steps to get through the front door of the building. Going up steps was no problem. Getting through a door is no problem. But there is no landing so I had to hold the bike with one hand as it wanted to go back down the steps, then reach up to get the door. A very clumsy situation. If I had any weight at all in the basket, the bike was very hard to handle in these situations. With the lower center of gravity, the panniers make the whole thing easier. I also had a folding rear basket on one side. That was handy, too. I took it off when I got my panniers, but I plan to rig up a pannier type suspension system for it so I can slap it on for errands.
Speaking of dorkie, I guess I have a different attitude. Those of us that use our bikes as tools to get us to work and back need stuff that purists would rather die than mount on their bikes. Headlights, blinkie taillights, horn/bell, fenders, etc. I even have a rear view mirror. I would not be without it. I do not rely on it for switching lanes or other moves, but it does allow me to keep an eye on people coming up behind me. If something makes my ride safer or more convenient I will use it without apology. Besides, my daughters think I am a dork anyway, so what's new? :-)
Regards,
Raymond