Old 02-03-07, 10:08 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking
I've tried different brands of winter gloves, but none of them do as well as mittens. I hadn't heard of pogies before, but they look like they could work. This icebike page says some people claim they are the warmest. That page also mentions "moose mitts" and lobster gloves.
If I remember correctly you had not enough traction to twist the shifter with mittens at one time?

Warm mittens will keep you warm, but the lobster gloves and things like that will have the same shifting problem.
I can't remember what your twist shifter look like on your bike, but there are a few different kinds.
Some have almost a hexagon shape, some are larger diameter. If you had a larger grip with a better shape maybe it would work OK with mittens. I use huge goose down filled mittens that have thick leather out side. But I have what they call "Rapid fire" shifters, on the bikes I ride when it is very cold. It's more like pushing a lever or a trigger. Your bike could also be converted to these if you decided it was worth the trouble. It's still not a fast shift, but it seems to work for me. It may take some getting used too.
Also all rapid fire shifters are not identical. If you did decide to try this, make sure you can see and touch the shifters before they get put on your bike. If you ever want a photo let me know.