Old 02-03-07, 10:20 AM
kgatwork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uphillbiker
Hey, thanks again for the help.

I'm really not happy with 1000bulb.com ones for selling me such crappy bulbs compared to those at batteryspace (which are really good if they're similar at all to Nightrider’s). So I'm just going to power the snot out of them on a 9 volt source (bulbs are 6 volt).

Also, there's another question on a slightly different topic. Sorry if there's a better place to ask this question, but have any of you guys tried the Trail Tech 30W HID light?

I just got one and am very happy with it’s initial performance. However, one thing caught my attention is the manufacturer recommends a power source of 12 volts minimum. Now, I know that batteryspace.com sells it with a lithium pack of 11 volts, but still--are there any issues with running these off lithium batteries. I know one thing the bulbs really hate is insufficient voltage, which causes hard ion impacts (or something) and destroys the filament. It seems like you might your lithium pack could get low enough to still have 1/3 or more power left but be at a voltage that cuts down the bulb life.

My goal is to make this bulb last as long as possible and I'll buy a whole new battery if necessary.

What do people think?

Thanks again.

I have a trailtech MR16 HID and use a 12 NiMh battery pack that I made from some discarded sub-c cells I found at work. Its a very bright light

It has failed once already, luckily I had my 12v halogen helmet light. I used the light approximately 12 commuter hours when the light failed to stay on for more than 20 seconds. The night it failed I was on a fun ride and had just run the one pack till the cutoff voltage of the light was hit, approximately 10.5 volts under load or 1 hour 10 minutes of run time. When I put the light on a second pack, thats when my problems started. When I got home I put it on a freshly charged pack and a 12v 10Ah SLA battery with the same results. I spoke with a Trailtech tech and RMA'd it back. Turn-around was approximately 1 day after they received the unit. I got it back and they replaced the bulb and installed a re-strike ballast new for 07'. The light seems to be working fine now but I only have about 6 hours on the unit now. Time will tell.