View Single Post
Old 02-03-07, 03:34 PM
mirkee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. No the Centurion is a not a mixte. It's a men's frame. I'll probably trade the frame when I'm done stripping the bike of components. I'll take most anything in trade as I am just starting out. I'm flexible and will post on the trade board soon.

2. Actually, the chain came from Wallmart, for cheap. The brakes too. All the brake pads at the LBS were some newfangled ones, too curvy, no studs or other problems. Wallmart pads fit perfect and were around $3-4. Some of this Wallmart stuff was just more suitable for my old Raleigh. God knows I give my LBS enough money anyway!

3. I am soooooo glad that I finally got the hang of putting the chain back on my Suntour RD without taking the chain apart. For future reference, however, what's a good reliable chain with an easy-to-use break apart feature? The Wallmart one I used on the Raleigh had the bronze colored link but still had a heck of a time putting it back together. Is it just a matter of getting the hang of it? The instructions were worthless.

4. I am in Orange County, CA, and mixtes are hard to come by here as well. I need to finish the taking apart of the Centurion and get my stuff organized before I start on another project. I'm 56 and starting a 2nd career. Taking 15 units at the local university, graduating in May and for some reason, there is a lot more work this semester than others. Furtunately, I don't work (much) but I try to do well in school and that takes a lot of my time. I see Peugot mixtes but that seems like a whole other set of problems. If I found a Centurion mixte I would jump on it, especially if it was lighter steel.

Lastly, I am a guy. Just think the mixtes are nice. Timeless styling kind of thing. Also easier to get in and out of.