Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by samsation7
Well, I don't have paypal (nor do I want to apply-terrible company)...
What about the company makes it terrible... aren't they a subsidiary of eBay? If PayPal is a terrible company, then should we avoid eBay too?

People complain about the fees (just like for eBay), but if you were to sit down and do some math you might find that it is a relative bargain.

Companies accept credit cards only partially for customer convenience, they encourage the use because it is cheaper for them than accepting cash....

For the little 3% (or whatever it is) you avoid:

1) waiting for the funds to be mailed

2) waiting for the check to clear

3) the trip to the bank or check cashing place (and if you go to a check cashing place they will charge more than PayPal)

You gain:

Some protection, plus the ability to handle your shipping very easily by printing pre-paid shipping labels.

PayPal makes less sense with small dollar amounts, but so does eBay.

Or is there another reason I have missed that PayPal is terrible?

Consider the few cents you spend on PayPal as a discount for the buyer so they don't have to spend the $1 or so for going to the post office, envelope, paper and postage to send you a check...

I personally specify PayPal only for my few auctions... and rarely buy from anyone not offering PayPal.

All of this to say, iIf I were you, I would go the ebay route after getting a PayPal account. You have a much larger target market that way. And find a way to take the 10 minutes to ship in order to protect your feedback rating.

EDIT: I work for the Postal Service, and we do appreciate making 39 cents per check sent in the mail... just in case someone thinks I am a PayPal employee based on my advocacy above. Ship Prioirty or Express mail and you can even get the box for free...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Little Darwin; 02-04-07 at 08:55 AM.