eubi
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eubi
I never buy my clothes at thrift stores. I make plenty of money. I feel as though I'm taking something away from someone who really needs it for a low price.
Originally Posted by kemmer
I've heard this argument before, but what you have to realize is that the money generated by these stores supports the other efforts of the charities that run them. By buying from thrift stores you allow them to continue operating and fund their other efforts. The benefits of thrift stores are not limited to cheap clothing for the less fortunate. Thrift stores have more than enough cheap goods to go around, and by spending your money there you fund humanitarian aid, job training, homeless shelters, soup kitchens and numerous other good causes. Buying at the mall, department store or other retail outlet just makes the rich guys richer, consumes resources natural resources, supports sweat shops, produces industrial waste and pollution and all kinds of other undesirable things.
Well, you weren't asking for an argument for or against buying at thrift stores, you just asked what we thought. But now I see I was was set up.

Good job. I didn't see it coming.

I told you why I prefer not to buy CLOTHES at thrift stores. If some of us don't buy new clothes, where are the old ones going to come from that we DONATE to thrift stores?

This is the reason I would never hold a yard sale to profit myself. I don't need the money. I'll let the charities make the money through my donations of useable goods.

Really, I applaud your support of charities. They do a lot of good work. You support charities in your way as the consumer. I'll support them in my way as the supplier.

Last edited by eubi; 02-04-07 at 12:04 PM.