View Single Post
Old 02-05-07, 10:23 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
One big incentive for racing is that by racing in 6 series races, I will qualify for a new bike at a really deep discount. Maybe I can get myself a good full suspension bike.

So I was wondering if there are any others out there who are getting into MTB racing in their 50s or later. Anyone?

Been there- Done that and got the T Shirt. In fact I think I won that one.

I started racing in my late 40's to make up the numbers at a local meeting. Had no chance of even getting near the front but Felt that I had got enough out of my previous sports to put something back. I enjoyed it but went to one meeting and found I was the only 45+ entered. I was asked if I would mind racing in the 35+ group as a class of one was not on. I agreed and tagged on behind the youngsters and only saw other racers from the other age groups lapping me. Got to the prize presentation to find that I had come 2nd in my group All the others dropped out. Went to my next meeting to find that I had been taken out of sports group and put into the Top group------ Due to my excellent placing in my last race. You try tell officials that coming 2nd in a group that may have had 15 starters but only 2 finishers doesn't really count. I had to finish the season off in the top group- but had just as much fun coming last in that group as I had coming last in the lower group.

Spike Milligan