View Single Post
Old 01-12-04, 10:26 AM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brillig
Hybrids are more comfortable than road bikes for people who aren't accustomed to being on a bike and are riding shorter distances.

Once you break yourself in you can't beat a road bike for comfort, and this difference gets more extreme the longer the distance.
Agreed. A hybrid is initially more comfortable, but doesn't offer enough hand or body positions for a long ride. On the roadie, every time I change hand positions, I also tend to slightly change my body angle too. Cyclotourist is spot on about the Q-factor. It is something I'd never really noticed when it was my primary bike, but really stands out now.

25 miles is about my limit on the hybrid these days. After about 10 miles, the extra weight starts to get to me and the power-sapping tendencies of the wider, lower pressure tires begins to annoy me. It's great for commuting, but now that I'm getting more and more used to a road bike, I'm sure it will get replaced soon with a cyclocross or tourer.