gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenstork
Hi gcl8a,

You have provided some excellent information and ideas for a tour. My wife and I will be traveling to Denmark this summer for 5-6 days that is part of a larger European bicycle tour. We'll be taking a train in to Copenhagen, although our departure city is uncertain.

I was hoping that I could ask you a few follow-up questions, for recommendations on our route. As I said, we'll only have 5-6 days on the bike plus one day in the city. We're not planning to bike very long distances, probably no more than 30-60km per day. And since we won't be camping, we plan to find local hotels or inns each night.

My primary question is -- are we best staying on Zealand or would it even be possible to make it to Fyn or even Aero, covering such short distances each day? What sites and towns can't be missed?

We want to see as many of the major sites that Denmark has to offer -- striking a balance between natural beauty, towns & villages, and major historical landmarks (castles, churches, etc.). Oh, and neither one of us particularly likes being surrounded by huge crowds of tourists.

We will be leaving Denmark by train, either back to Amsterdam or Brussels and can depart from anywhere, it doesn't have to be Copenhagen.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave
Tak for de venlige ord... (A literal translation of 'thanks for the kind words', but I don't know how 'Danish' that is).

I love doing this stuff -- I feel like Julie McCoy...

National route 8 (click on the link in my previous post and then 'nationalruterne' and scroll down) is 360km and hits many of the items I touched on: Møns Klint, Svendborg, Ærø with a small adjustment. A little farther than you're plan, BUT, you could stop in Sønderborg and shave a bit off.

I'm not too well versed on Sjælland (Zealand), having only been to København so far, but most of the 'classic' historic sites are there (Helsingør, Roskilde, places in and around København). I'm a little partial to Fyn, because I live here, but it's really hits more of your 'towns and villages' aspect than 'historical landmarks'. But as canamdad noted, just going to Ærø is worth coming over this way alone, and Egeskov is great.

So, might I suggest you consider something like:

A day to see the sites in Copenhagen. Take the train to Roskilde if you're into Viking history. Then cycle to Svendborg either by going west to Fyn and down the coast, or by way of Falster/Lolland if you want to go to Møns Klint and such. Take the ferry to Ærø, ride it's length, and then the ferry to southern Jylland. End in Sønderborg or Padborg and catch the train to Amsterdam.

A word of note: while it is easy to hop the train in Denmark with a bike, it's more difficult to take a bike on the EuroCity trains, or whatever they're called. I'll assume you're looking into this.