DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
I hate being on the trail and needing to climb off to adjust clothing etc. Every time I have to scout for a place that I can lean my bike against. With the kickstand bike, I just dismount wherever I want.
I don't know what kind of trails you ride but the ones I'm used to have far too uneven or unstable (loose ground, soft ground, rocky ground) a terrain for a kickstand to be of much use. The end result would be the bike returning to it's lowest potential energy state by tipping over onto its side. If there's nothing very stable to lean it against, I simply preempt this by putting it down on its nondrive side in the first place.

Originally Posted by Ranger
I can see the safety issue with the kickstand. But i also see a bit of fashion police involved. There is nothing wrong with a kickstand in many situations. I love mine and may be in the market for another.
The original post asked if we used kickstands and we answered that with a good supply of reasons. This is afterall the mountain biking forum and given the scope of the general audience, I would have to say that most of the responders here have extremely good reasons for avoiding kickstands. Your "many situations" probably do not apply to many of these readers and as such the appropriatness of a kickstand on their bikes is most likely proportionally opposite.