Old 02-08-07, 03:31 PM
Jacob C
just riding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheap, strong, light wheelset recommendations

I'm looking for a disc specific wheelset for my '06 Rockhopper Comp. I mostly ride XC but there are some great trails in the area with drops from 3-5 feet and I don't want to walk around the fun stuff because I am worried about my wheels. I need something that is going to hold up to those drops with 170 lbs + bike on it. Obviously lighter is better as long as it is strong enough. One wheelset I have been looking at is the FSA XC-300. I've noticed Kona has used that wheelset on some of their higher end bikes and the wheels have good reviews. Everyone says they are tough but I've never owned 24 spoke wheels and it does make me wonder about the durability. Also, could you comment on aluminium nipples; I know some people hate them. What are the major disadvantages? If anyone could recommend wheelsets that would be competative with, or better than, the FSA XC-300 given my goals it would be a great help. I have a absolute max budget of $400 but would prefer to keep it down near $300. Thanks everyone.