Old 02-09-07, 09:00 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeriderdave
Not afraid... unmotivated. I'd guess that most "I've only tried IP" teams see no good reason to make the effort to try riding OOP. Simply put: For most teams IP works, and for them the old saw, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. Especially in the case of OOP, which will obviously take some effort getting used to.
+1. That's about the size of it.

Most people tend to go with the flow and look to folks with experience and the masses to see how it's done when they start doing something new, like tandem cycling. Why did the first tandems way back in the late 1800's get set up in-phase? Who knows, but it's probably something as simple as "it looked more graceful" and just seemed right. From then on, most tandems were displayed, test ridden, and sold with the cranks in phase and that's the way it is.

There is no doubt that OOP "feels" better for some teams and y'all can continue to cite your various theories and when asked, help to convert others so they too can see the light. However, the greatest probability of a successful conversion will come from teams that usually ride alone or with single bikes who haven't done much riding with other tandems, never mind having never attended a tandem rally. Moreover, if you happen to ride with them OOP is more likely to "stick" as it's not nearly as odd looking when just a lone tandem or even two tandems are riding OOP. Like anything, once a team has it in their head that OOP works better for them, well then it does. Again, as to why, look to your stoker's strengths and weaknesses or what it was that ailed you when you rode in phase as a Team.

Frankly, at the end of the day, notwithstanding issues associated with riding tandems on technical off-road single track, riding IP or OOP is simply a matter of figuring out what your team prefers... similar to which side of the bed you sleep on, blonde or brunette, etc...

Also, for a lot of teams, keep in mind my earlier anecdote about "compromise". Unless your stoker's a type A personality and/or the cyclist in the cyclist in the family and a real driver behind your tandeming activities, they'll usually go along with what ever you suggest as captain as long as it doesn't cause them too much pain, discomfort, mental anquish or create "image" issues if they are prone to vanity.

And, yes, OOP does feel "easier" which goes back to another one of my analogies about OOP: riding IP = a 1000cc/150hp two cylinder engine, whereas riding OOP = 1000cc/150hp four cyclinder engine. Same displacement, same power, but a completely different power band and torque curve. Likewise, any problems with a weak cylinder or ignition timing will have a different impact on engine performance in a 2 vs. 4 cyclinder engine.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 02-10-07 at 05:33 AM.