Old 01-14-04, 11:43 PM
pletcgm

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anikuma
For you armed cyclist....is it really that bad where you are cycling to warrant a weapon? Aside from the wheel-crazed dog, or deranged armadillo?

Have you personally ever used a weapon to ward off/stop an attack?
Most of the places...no. But here is a good one. Last summer, I parked my car at Centennial Park, and took off on my bicycle. At the end of my ride, I was entering the park. There was a family picnicing close to my car. All of a sudden, with all of their food on the blanket, they pick the blanket up, dump the whole thing in the trunk of their car, and they are gone. It made me somewhat suspicious. So anyway, I got to my car and was putting my bicycle on it and a kid, maybe 8-10 years old, who was a immigrant from some African country, came up to me and said he wanted money! Truthfully, I told him that I didn't have any cash on me and that I had just realized that I left my check card in the ATM in Dickson. His first response was "expensive bike, expensive car." Then, 3 more, 16-20 year olds, and big, start walking over to my car...and they didn't look like they were going to chat! My first response was to pull my gun out of my car. I pulled it out and their response was we don't want any trouble. I said "I guess not!!!" They walked off and I got out of there.

If I would not have had my gun, they would have robbed me and probably taken my car!