View Single Post
Old 01-15-04, 03:16 PM
Mr Jerk

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by geneman
I live just south of the thruway and always bike away from the city. This means that I spend a great deal of time around the Rush area and South.

Ride #1 (characterized by roads that are in very good condition, have little traffic and have moderate slope (with one small climb thrown in for good measure)).
... head out of the town of Rush following 15A east. Just after you leave town, make a right on Phelps road. Take Phelps until it turns into Works Rd. (continue heading South). Works road eventually turns into Oak Openings Road (still heading South). Make a right onto North Avon Road and take that up to Gilbert Mills Rd where you'll make a right. Gilbert Mills turns into Wilkinson and you'll continue to head North. At Honeoye Falls 6 Rd. make a right and then a quick left onto Five Points Rd. Stay on Rush until you hit Fishell Rd. where you'll make a left. Take that up to Rt. 15 (also called W. Henrietta Rd) and make a right. Continue up 15 North until you find your way to familiar territory.

Ride #2 (characterized by flat terrain and the ability to easily throw in some decent hills if desired, roads in good shape, but some traffic and some tight spots.)
At the end of last season, I got into the habit of packing up the car early on a Sat. morning, driving 20 minutes down to Lakeville, parking the car, and biking around Conesus lake. It's a 12 mile route that can be done as many times as desired. It's an easy route down East Lake Rd., around the South tip and up West Lake Rd. However, for the adventuresome among you, the roads going away from the lake on either the East or West side offer some good climbing.

Finally, a recommended park for mtn. biking?
I don't claim that this is legal so you should check it out before going. Furthermore, I can only vouch for the quality of the trail for about 0.5 miles as I was hiking with my 2 year old at the time. But, there's a very quiet little park just West of Scottsville called Oatka park that has very well manicured trails that could be fun. It's literally minutes from RIT. Get into the village of Scottsville, find North Rd. and take it West. When you hit Union St. make a left. The park is about a mile up on the right.

Good luck!

-mark
Hey thanks,........