View Single Post
Old 02-11-07, 10:40 AM
meteparozzi

Bikes: Custom True North

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried contacting Surly or Thorn and asking the name of their manufacturer or a location to purchase their frames in Taiwan?

It's going to be quite difficult to find a touring frame. Even though they are all made here, they are all made for export, and its incredibly difficult to buy just one or two, they try to sell them in bulk.

I found a great set of trekking handlebars the other day from a Taiwanese manufacturer, but they wanted me to buy 150,000 NT$ worth and wouldn't even provide the name of a distributor here.

It's the same with Apple products. They are made here, shipped to the States, and then some are shipped back here to be sold. I constantly hear talks about 'triangle trade.' It's just obscene.

Those frames look pretty good. I would probably go with one of the 700C wheel ones and buy a set of well built wheels (36 or 40 spokes). I know a guy here in Kaohsiung that builds wheels, and he's fluent in English.

You might be able to tell him what you want, your measurements, etc. and see if he can't find what you want. He did that for me.

His name is Justin Wang. I'll PM you his e-mail address.