View Single Post
Old 01-16-04, 08:24 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Grendel
Chris, read the article again and think about this for a minute: In the month of January alone, two cyclists have been hit - one killed and one in a coma - along the same stretch of road (both accident scenes within 100 yards of each other) at almost exactly the same time of day.
I've thought about the article, however, I still ask the question - how many were hit and killed last month? Last year? The "two hit in January alone" might be the only two hit in the last five years. By all means look for a safer route if one is available, or contact your local government authority about having the bad sections of that particular route improved.

However, if not, we need to be realistic about the level of risk involved here, and I don't think we have sufficient information to judge that from the article presented. Just a couple of years ago there were two cyclists killed in a month within 5km of where I live. However, both before and since, the death rate here has been very low. Statements such as "I wonder when I'm going to be hit" aren't really productive. What we need to do is look at why the cyclists were it, how many (overall) have been hit, and decide how to solve any problem which may exist in the area.

That is all.