Old 02-12-07, 10:05 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I've read this, and the "What did I do wrong?" thread, and I'm wondering: At what point is everyone going to realize that no matter where you place yourself in a lane, no matter what acronym you use to decribe your particular style of cycling, there are drivers out there that will do whatever they want? You can't predict how someone drives based on their vehicle, the time of day, the general location, etc. You can't change a driver's overall behaviour based on riding in the left/center/right/shoulder of the lane, or weaving, or even by following all the rules of the road and signalling your next move.

I've been cut off by everyone from little old ladies in big sedans, to teenagers in tricked out rally cars and every possibility in between. I've been cut off in the middle of the lane, right hooked, cross hooked (I made a left with an arrow, got hit by a guy making a right on red,) and intentionally sideswiped. My personal favourite was the guy who was so impatient that he made a right on red from the left turn lane, in front of me and the car in the lane to my left.

Face the facts and count on there being problematic drivers out there; the kind that like nothing better than giving cyclists (and people in smaller/slower/etc.) cars a hassle. Don't question what you did wrong... You didn't do anything wrong. Some people are just a-holes. Deal with it.
You've clearly articulated the point that I was hoping to make in posting these threads. My question "What did I do wrong?" in some ways was meant ironically and somewhat rhetorically not to preclude that there are things in any situation one could always do better. For one thing trusting my instincts and staying in the moment on the bike certainly trumps messing around with "lane positioning" or vehicular technique.

Yes, some people are just a-holes and the best way to deal with it is constant awareness and an ability to respond to unexpected circumstances in what may be unexpected ways.