Old 01-18-04, 12:56 AM
H. Star
Short bus rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
I find it interesting that after just two cyclists being hit by cars, and there is already a reaction of "I wonder when I will get hit". Seems a little strange that, with the thousands of motorists who die in "accidents" every year, nobody ever has a second thought about that particular activity, nor any of the many others that have a higher death rate than cycling.
There are two other factors to consider here. First Florida consistently holds the honor of the state with the most bicycle fatalities based on population, and second, Ft. Lauderdale (Weston is a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale) has the highest rate in the state of Florida.

There is no better place to get hit in the US than Ft. Lauderdale, and this particular stretch of road possibly has the most cyclists per mile than any around (just a guess). Two people get killed this month (the guy in a comma just died). All of these things together make my mind wonder if I could become one of the statistics.

Just a side note, today there is a big electronic sign on this road warning motorists of sun glare and to be aware of cyclists. I thought this was a nice move by the authorities to raise awareness.