card
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I'm kind of focusing on the Fort Davis area, but when I get out there that could change. I was thinking about having my wife SAG for me and take off for a few hours at a time. I'll just have to play it by ear.
Great riding around Ft. Davis. I stay the the Veranda in Ft. Davis. 915-426-2233. There is a scenic loop that goes past the Ovservatory that is 75 miles. Long and hilly. A good ride is to Marfa. 21 miles south of Ft. Davis. Marfa is a really neat town w/great restaurants and hotels. I love to eat at the Pizza Connection and Maiyas. They have a great bookstore w/wine and good imported beer. There is a winery about 5 miles east of Marfa toward Alpine.
The motels in Marfa are the Paisano and the Thunderbird. The Paisano is where the cast from the movie Giant stayed and has been restored to its original splendor. The Thunderbird is owned by a lady from Austin that has made a really great funky retro motel out of it.

Then, you can peddle on east to Alpine. Stay at the Holland House right down town. There is a German that moved there and has a brewery and German restraunt downstairs. For a little more upscale, there is the Riata. I suggest going from Marfa to Alpine (21-23 miles) to have a tail wind. The west wind is hell out there. Also they have the Railroad Blues Bar for nightly entertainment. Good bands come through.

Then you can go NE about 26 miles and you will be back in Ft. Davis. It's pretty hilly, so the wind doesn't have much effect on you. I've been going out there and biking for years and love it. Hope to buy a home in the area one day. Marfa is a really artsy town and real estate has about tripled in the last 3 years--tiny Santa Fe.

Hope the general synopsis helps.