Old 02-14-07, 02:03 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by littledog
As an a person who is dual diagnosis- Schizoaffective/depressive type and an Alcoholics Anonymous member with 12 years continuous sobriety, I am in agreement with the fact that happiness is something we have to work for. The Noble Eight Fold Path and Classical Taoism have helped me a lot to find happiness,as well as the 12 steps of AA which to me are a different way of expressing the 8 Fold Path.

Happiness and simplicity are intertwined. Being car free,although difficult at first, leads to simplicity and happiness,at least for me. Also I have given up on psych meds for 2 years and 8 months now which lets me have a much better quality of life. Bicycle riding has enabled me to do this. It relieves the stress which brings on my mental illness relapses which put me in the hospital. By not owning and maintaining a car I can have some fun money. There is more to life than just the basic neccesities. Like having more bicycles. LOL. Oh well,at least it is a healthy addiction and a lot cheaper than meds. I love bicycle riding and owe my life and happiness to it. I could do without it if I had to but I would rather not
Damn, littledog, you're doing great! I'm going to pass your story along to some of my patients, if that's alright with you.

I already tell them about the clinical studies that are starting to show the effectiveness of exercise for depression, bipolar disorder and anxiety disorders. A psychiatrist I work with is studying exercise and schizophrenia. But a personal story like yours will give them something to think about.

I take a group of patients walking every day. I also show patients my commuter bike leaning on the hospital wall, and I ride the exercise bike on my break and talk to patients who ask me about what I'm doing.

"Think Outside the Cage"