View Single Post
Old 02-14-07, 09:03 PM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I can see your point, I'm not very clear. I think I was trying not to get into it and I should have refrained from using a name.

All I meant is that frame building has it's culture and if a person wants to end up being refered to by Mike Barry, as he did you, as the perhaps greatest racing frame builder, in style terms, then maybe they should stick with the frame building culture. On the other hand, there are lots of others out there who know how to fit a few tubes together and make awsome stuff from scratch like say.... steel, you want to get a general education in being the kind of person who can do anything don't restrict yourself to the ways and means of framebuilding, it's a narrow path.

Breaking newbie frame building down into simple terms it goes like this: Get some zona and a simple frame design. After that it comes to coping and joining some tubes accurately, and a bunch of other stuff. To the guy who wantsthat first leg up on the ladder there are a lot of places that can teach you those skills, and that "other stuff", and probably better in some cases. There are lots of painters, welders, metalsmiths, machinists, knifemakers, chopper builders industrial arts schools, etc... out there. I mean do we ever get a frame question, or answer, to a machining question on the Frameforum that sounds like it came from someone who had sat through a Rudy Kouhoupt video, to name but one source? Do we ever get a Q or A on heat treating that sounds like it was done by someone who had heat treated something? This has to be the only handy society where people spend big bucks for a square block of wood with an accurately drilled hole when they own milling machines... It's all good, I'm not knocking it as long as the narrowed focus tells in the product, it's a good thing.