Old 02-15-07, 02:19 PM
LandLuger
bicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r8ingbull
While I would love to see many of these types of vehicles, they still don't solve many of the problems associated with cars. You're still paying taxes, insurance, maintenance etc.
If there were no cars, the govt would taxes bicycles or other aspects of our lives. The only reason we don't have to pay to tag a bicycle is that there aren't enough of us on the radar. Make no mistake they will get their money one way or another. Furthermore, vehicles like this are much, much more efficient than typical gasoline equivalents and require vastly less maintanence. My ebike is based on almost exactly the same technology and the only motor parts designed to wear out are the wheel bearings (near lifetime) and the battery--compare that to the infinitely more complex modern IC engine. I'd say getting people into these would be a big step towards solving our nation's problems.

Also it is using a 2000lb machine to move two occupants and equipment totaling 1200lbs. A bike weighs 30 and can easily move 300.
Yes, at 5 MPH, but this doesn't meet your stated performance demands: twenty-five miles in one hour. Look despite what we might hope or dream in a wealthy society there will always be heavy vehicles on the roads for applications like this. What we must do is divorce ourselves from the pollution and national security risks that come with oil-based vehicles. Free--ok, inexpensive/renewable--energy is literally all around us; just look at how many years of the worlds energy demand can be satified by a minute of sunlight that reaches the earth. These vehicles are future proof; all they need is a source of electric energy that can come from a myriad of sources.

The problem is so much more involved than one action will ever solve. It involves land use issues, profit over ethics, transportation and soo much more.
Oh, was this was the point of the thread?

Last edited by LandLuger; 02-15-07 at 02:39 PM.