Old 02-16-07, 03:53 PM
Haptown
ukenut

Bikes: Cannondale F500, Mid 80's Fuji Touring Series III, 1979 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 1995 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashville, TN - Not Bike/Pedestrian Friendly

I found this information at walkbikenashville.org, a non profit group here in Nashville that is trying to change the current cycling/walking climate here.
  • 10% of Nashville households do not own a car
  • Nashvillians drive an average of 38 miles of day, one of the highest in the US
  • The Surface Transportation Policy Project ranked Nashville as the 10th worst pedestrian city
  • 81% of Nashvillians favor more sidewalks and bikeways
  • Tennessee spends 0.7% of its federal transportation funds on pedestrian/bicycle facilities
  • Pedestrians and bicyclists account for 7% of all traffic deaths in Tennessee
  • The obesity rate in Tennessee is 22.7% which is one of the highest in the country
  • Nashville has almost twice the road miles as Minneapolis, but half the sidewalks
  • Of 338 miles of roadways surveyed in Nashville, 75% were identified as unsuitable for bicycling

And this is also an interesting tid bit:

In the 1960’s, nearly 70% of children walked or bicycled to school. Today, less than 10% go to school under their own power.

It's sad really, I live just two miles from the downtown but I rarely see other people cycling or walking to work, or around my urban neighborhood. But happily, Walk Bike Nashville is working to change all of this.