View Single Post
Old 02-17-07, 12:12 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
So what type of riding do you do?
I'm a mountain biker who also rides road and MUPS. My favorite is technical, single track.
How do you classify yourself, fit, ultra-fit, getting fit.....
How about "was fit". At the end of last season I was in the best shape of my limited cycling career. My road times were up to 18mph average. My individual MTB times were the best I've ever posted and, best of all, I could feel the difference as I began to drop other MTBers.
Then came winter combined with loss of daylight.
How often do you ride?
Now, only once or twice a week, usually on weekends. But that will change on March 11 when I can get back to three to five times a week.
Do you get in any achievement rides?
I have to be honest with myself, I'm not a fast mountain biker, accurate on technical trails, yes, but not fast. In fact I'm quite slow so competition on the MTB is out. I'm a much better road rider than I am MTBer. Right now I'm planning to enter my first "comptetive" road ride this July. We'll see how I do.
Any other points to note? Do you ride to lose weight, etc.?
I ride for fun and to take my mind of off the problems at work. But the side benefits of losing 15lbs and lowering my cholesteral over 30 points are welcome. I'm sure I'm getting a good cardio work out each time I ride and that can't hurt. Before I returned to cycling about 2 or 3 years ago, I was a certified Couch Potato who thought the greatest invention was the remote control.
As an aside, I found I greatly enjoy buying old bikes and repairing them. This interest continues to fuel the desire to cycle, which in turn, keeps me interested in repairing bikes and so on.
BTW, great thread Stapfam.