Old 02-21-07, 01:40 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by i_r_beej
Buy some decent platform pedals--ones made for free-riding or downhill are generally much wider than "standard" platforms. OR... get some "spinning" shoes. They're more of a slip-on design, with usually only one velcro strap. Fast and easy on and off.

Maybe you need to buy some new shoes? What kind do you have that are such a bother to change?
I currently ride with Cannondale "hiking" shoes (with a recessed cleat) and SPD pedals. My shoes are fine, so are the pedals. Only I can't wear those shoes at work, so if I want to try commuting with the recumbent, I'd have to change shoes at home, then when I arrive at work, then again leaving work, and again arriving back home. I don't want to do that, that's why I was looking for these pedals. And I'm not too keen on Powergrip straps either, because while they work well, I think they're dangerous when falling because they have a 50/50 chance of not releasing the foot and twisting your leg quite badly, depending on how you fall.

Originally Posted by JTGraphics
This what I'm using Forté Campus Pedals
This set of pedals has a platform on one side so you can use your normal shoes, flip it over and it has lips that are compatible with Shimano SPD cleats so it can be used with or without toe clips, with or without cleats. I also wanted straps for my street shoes so I also use a set of Winwood Instep Pedal Inserts
which are clipped into the toe clips. If you are going to use biking shoes the Winwood Instep Pedal Inserts are removed and you clip straight into the pedal. Both Captain and stoker are equipped with the same setup.
Toe clips won't work on a recumbent. This said, I do have pedals that have a standard platform on one side, and a SPD side. I *can* ride with normal shoes, but on a recumbent it's not very nice, because you have to keep fighting gravity and concentrate on keeping your feet on the pedals. That's what I want to be clipped in.