Old 01-25-04, 06:27 PM
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vulcanpimp
i have just got a raceing bike and it punctured after only 7 miles. the funny thing is i couldn't spot any glass, or any obvious thorn when cleaning it up.

do raceing bikes, with the thinner tires - puncture easily

if so what causes that and what can i do to stop it
I have often gotten flats where I couldn't find the cause - whatever it was apparently fell out or something. I also found that sometimes a small piece of glass will get in the tread and hide within the rubber. You don't see it from either side except by taking off the tire and flexing it around. When you pump up the tire (causing pressure on the tire), and then sit on the bike (more pressure) and then hit bumps near the place with the glass (even more pressure), that piece of glass will protrude sometimes into the tube.

I ride on bad roads - lots of glass and seldom cleaned. I found the Specialized Armadillos to be the best. This is especially so if you will take the time periodically to examine the tread of your tires. I find glass particles embedded which can be seen by a small bulge or by probing into small cuts (when probing, if there is glass you will get a grinding feel). These glass pieces are in the outer tread, not yet getting through the protective layers beneath. If you remove them, they don't get through.

Bob