Old 02-22-07, 01:49 AM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
What are your criteria? How do you define a safe route? And how do you choose one? What resources do you use?
I just use a map to pick a route. In the old days, I used a traditional county paper map. Now I just use maps.google.com.

If I'm trying to get somewhere (work, a friend's house, a store), I try to pick what will be the fastest route. I try to minimize stops signs and traffic signals when possible.

If I'm planning a recreational ride, I look at total length, how scenic it is, numbers of hills (sometimes I want more, sometimes I want to avoid them), and reducing intersection delays.

But, whether the route planning is transportational or recreational, "safety" is never a consideration. What makes one route more "safe" than another? I don't consider that at all, because there is nothing to consider. Lane width? Nope. Traffic volumes? Nope. Number of intersections, okay, maybe, but if there is a way to reduce number of intersections without sacrificing time, I'll do it anyway, but to reduce intersection-induced delays (stop signs and red lights), not for safety considerations.

Edit: When riding at night without lights, which has happened to me once or twice (got stuck at work with no light), I seem to recall at least once that I chose an alternate route because it had street lights, to avoid a section on my regular route without street lights.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 02-23-07 at 01:21 AM.