View Single Post
Old 02-22-07, 09:22 AM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Diane did you read my post... http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...85&postcount=7

I honestly believe that we are taught the cyclist inferiority phobia in our youth.
I did read that and probably it is true for a lot of people. But that was not my experience, nor was it the experience of anybody I grew up with. We learned to ride at 5 years old and then we were free to go wherever we wanted (within reason, the circle getting larger as we got older). Even as a 5 year old girl I was free to go wherever I wanted unsupervised. The only message about cars was beware the drivers that slow down and offer you candy.

Times have changed I guess. It's not that it was less dangerous back then, believe me because I have stories. I think people are just more fearful.

Fear of bicycling was never my experience ever. Heck, I would get MAD when cars would drive a wide circle around me when I was a kid because I felt it said something about them not having faith in my abilities.

As for HH's comment about debunking the man vs. the words, I guess he never wrote any papers in college. We always referred to the man's work by his name.