Old 02-22-07, 09:51 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Consider this scenario, which actually describes part of my commuting route: Your starting point and destination both lie on cross streets between two roads, but at opposite ends of those two roads, maybe 10 miles total.

One road is a 4 lane, 60mph speed limit, divided highway with a fair, but inconsistent and debris laden shoulder. The road has one light controlled intersection with ROTL with the remaining cross street access being freeway-style on/off ramps. Bicycles are not barred by law from using this road. The road is fairly flat other than one overpass. Traffic volume is heavy and impatient. Cars using the shoulders to pass on either the left or right is not uncommon if overall volume causes backups, especially at the single lighted intersection. Some traffic exceeds 80mph and routinely jump from lane to lane to pass slower moving vehicles. The accident rate on this stretch of highway is probably at least 1 incident per day.

The other road is a narrow, two-lane country road with no shoulder, rolling with a couple of steep climbs and a 45mph speed limit. This road has triple the number of intersections with only stop signs (4 and 2 way) to control ROW. Some of the cross streets have steady 55mph traffic. Traffic volume is not as heavy as the 4 lane, but regular.

Which road do you choose and explain why safety ISN'T a factor in your decision, if that is the case.

Edit: I ride the country road. I could ride faster, with less effort & stop/go on the highway, but getting tagged by some impatient or inattentive moron is a matter of when, not if.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 02-22-07 at 10:09 AM.