View Single Post
Old 02-22-07, 12:24 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vespa
Hi, I am 6'4'' 280 lb (down from 310 up from 260 heading to 220.... and a bit of a newbie) and am looking to replace my Jamis Aragon with a CX bike that will better suit my riding habits. I have looked at the aluminum Cannondales, Kona's and Brodies and the steel Surly and Soma's. I have been favouring the Surly of Soma b/c I have been impressed by the LBSs that have carried them and like that they are not so tubey looking. I have about 1200 CAD to spend (1000 USD)

My question is will there be too much flex in the steel while climbing or not?

I also get the feeling that LBSs are pushing me at 58 size bikes b/c that is what they happen to have and it can be made to fit. I would prefer having the biggest bike I can ride and not have to have seat stem fully extended...is this reasonable thinking.

Really appreciate some perspectives. Thanks
serious riders always try and get the smallest frame they can ride comfortably. (everything else being equal, smaller frame is lighter and stiffer)

If you were going to be doing serious downhill riding/jumping/etc or something where bending the seatost was a concern this could be a logical decision but in all honesty if you are riding like that then the standover clearance issue should be a bigger concern!

Can you ride both and see which you like better?
On the steel vs alum thing:

I bought my current road bike because I knew that I wanted something stiffer than the cromoly MTB I had ridden in the dirt for years. I got the stiffest alum fram I could find.

On the road, the stiffness seems to equal more pain in the seat/nether region.