View Single Post
Old 02-23-07, 01:09 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
AAAGGGHHH!!! Not my commute!

I've been commuting 36 miles/day RT for a number of years, but I'm starting a new job at the end of April that's 60 miles away. While cycling once in awhile will certainly be feasible, it won't be practical on a daily basis so I'm basically swapping a great bike ride for a horrible car ride.

I'll toss a bike in the back of the car and ride the last few miles because it's faster than driving in town, but I've still basically lost my commute. Unfortunately, moving closer isn't an option at this point in time. No one forced me to take the position, but it really is an ideal situation aside from the commute. My current employer treats me very well, but this new job is as good as it gets.

The good news is that my new employer is sensitive to my dilemma. Even though my duties require lots of face time, I will be able to telecommute 2 days/wk with additional days negotiable depending on how things work out.

Better still, they are trying to arrange a new base of operations for me only 25 miles away -- which would actually be a better commute than what I have now. So not all hope is lost....