View Single Post
Old 01-27-04, 09:12 AM
fixedgearhead

Bikes: Panasonic,Peugeot Px10,Cinelli super corsa, Cinelli Olympic Pista, Bianchi Pista, Gitane Tandem, all fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that there is way too much emphasis placed on keeping the supposed integrity of shifter bosses and other "road fittings" on bikes that are converted to fixed gear. It is not like they are museum pieces. They are probably one of 10,000 such frames if they are from the major makers and unless they have particular historical significance: ie, Fausto Copi"s' or Gino Bartali's or other such bikes, it is perfectly ok to modify to your own desires.
I know that this is possibly not a majority view, but it is just a bicycle, one of many, if it is of no particular historical significance. If it is of signifigant
historical interest, then by all means preserve it in it's original form. This is especially true of a major makers frame that has been left to rust or otherwise abused. If you don't stop the deterioration it will then disintegrate with time and will not be fit to ride. If you want to choose to restore it to it's original form then great, but if you choose to change the frame by grinding and painting then that is also fine. Why not rehabilitate the bike to a new use and enjoy the bike in it's new form? Just my own opinion.

Let the Battery's fly

fixedgearhead