View Single Post
Old 02-25-07, 10:51 PM
masiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
On our DaVinci my first time was about 15-20 minutes. After some experience it takes ~10. You sure can do it, you just have to add that extra time on front to get ready to ride. I prefer not to switch not only because of the time to switch but also because of the increased risk of paint damage to the stoker seat tube. My model uses 4 allen bolts that face to the rear. I can not easily fit an allen wrench in the space and must do the repetitive insert, turn, pull out, insert, turn....etc., for all 4 bolts. You may need a long adjustable stoker stem to accommodate a child. You may even need to flip the handlebar backwards for them. I try to keep the seat height the same and adjust the stokid crank height accordingly, less to mess with to do a switch. You'll spend more time up front getting the chain length right but then that helps you position the crank on future reinstallations. I currently switch about 4-6 times per year. As our youngest gets older, and my wife can ride more, that frequency may increase.

I think on standard tandems you have to install a special BB that will mount two chainrings on the stokers timing chain side. So that will take extra time to install that. I assume you can leave that in place switching between normal and stokid. I assume this would also increase the stokers left side q factor. Speculation on my part for standard tandem setup.