Old 02-26-07, 08:17 AM
DeafLamb

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, IRO Groupbuy, Trek 520, plus a bunch of homebrews

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozark.bicycle
If your cups are coming loose, they have not been properly installed. The BB shell needs to be faced prior to installation. Then, grease up the cup threads, install and t-i-g-h-t-e-n. If they still come loose, clean the cup threads, wrap the cup threads w/teflon tape, regrease and tighten.

One of my personal rides uses a French BB, and it only comes loose when I ask it to.

As far as pricing, as someone else pointed out, you can find good quality Sugino French threaded cups cups for around US$20 a set. The Phil Wood stuff is for the fat wallet set.

I really didn't have that much trouble with the cups coming loose. I did once and I tightened it. The chronic problem of them coming loose was something I read about on sheldon's site. My bottom bracket is just screwed. If I tighten the adjustable cup to the point where there is no/little play in the spindle, the spindle doesn't turn, way to tight. If I back it off to the point where the spindle turns well, there is a lot of play.

Basically time for a new bottom bracket. I'm looking into the Sugino cup set... Does anyone know where I can find a 110mm spindle that will work w/ that cup set?

Thanks

Ray