Old 02-26-07, 10:40 AM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
It should be pointed out that either a recumbent bicycle or stationary bike have the potential to let you put too much stress on your knees. The reason is that with an upright, gravity limits you to pressing on the pedal with all your weight, and nothing more, but since you are pushing against a seat back when you mash pedals on a recumbent, you can put more stress on your knees.

When I first researched recumbent bicycles, I found plenty of references to knee problems with them, so I've always made sure to spin and not put excess stress on my knees, and I've had no knee problems. In almost every area, recumbent bicycles and stationary bikes are easier on your body than uprights, but knees can be an exception if you mash pedals with too much power.
I really appreciate your reply.
As I said, I have never had a problem like this before and I am alarmed (an understatement).
Your post refreshes my mind that I abused my legs on both machines because I could. The recumbent allows a force to go up to 1000 calories/hour for a short duration. I am now self-critical for doing such a stupid thing. The same goes for the Elliptical trainer, it allows high load for short durations which I did because I could do it.
Now of course I am more humble and become really careful.
Thanks for your post. I know it should be common sense but sometimes I get carried away.
Will